Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stupid! - 10/29/2011

*I decided to bring the "Stupid!" series Risexual started (and I later adapted) on Pedestrian-X back to LBC. Assuming the story is actually stupid enough, I figure it's content worthy enough to be on this blog. Yes this entry is over a month late, as I just remembered that I did it. No, I did not purposely just "remember" it to anti-bump PIT #8. Also, if you haven't noticed, I'm also periodically adding new parts to the "Old Revived Content" blog, so be sure to keep an eye on that, as I still have at least seven more chapters planned out.

So those of you who were with me on Halloween, or at least saw the Facebook pictures, saw my "wastelander" costume comprised of repainted hockey pads, duct tape, and tinted goggles. Originally, I was also planning on hot gluing paper mache spikes to the shoulder pads of the costume to give it that definitive post-apocalyptic badass look. Since that was the part of the costume that was going to be the most delicate and difficult to make, I put it off and put it off more until the day before Devil's Night where I immediately went into panic mode as I feverishly attempted to mould spikes out of newspaper and wood glue.

The main issue with moulding the spikes was finding something sharp and cone-shaped to wrap the paper mache around. I tried to keep an eye out for something like that for the entire month of October, and as I was panicking at the last minute I basically searched my entire house top-to-bottom and could find nothing. I returned to my room and fell on my bed to try to concentrate and collect myself, when a tupperware box inside my closet caught my eye. Said box contained some toy blocks from my childhood, some of which were cone-shaped and around 3" long. They weren't a perfect cone, but they were the best option at this point.

Opening the box revealed said blocks, plus a nerf ball, a flashlight I thought I lost, and a blue Push-Pop. I curiously examined the Push-Pop and tried to pry off the lid, that had been sealed by years-old dried up saliva and sugar, as I vaguely remembered the time I left it in there. I recalled when I watched an episode of Arthur where he hides some Halloween candy (how topical!) in a crawlspace for years to save for later, and thought that'd be funny experiment to try for myself. I estimated this Push-Pop to be from about 2001 or 2002. I finally tore the lid off as I further observed the partcially digested lollipop, and then bravely gave it a few licks.

And you know what? Nothing had changed. Contained within a watertight environment, it preserved its original flavour, while remaining completely devoid of dust, insects, and mould. On a macroscopic level, it was the same candy I had licked a decade ago. That said, I let it hit the trash afterwards. I didn't feel I needed to further test the integrity of Push-Pops after twenty years, as I thought I had already taken the experiment far beyond the scale that even the Mythbusters would have gone, and without blowing up someone's house in the process!

3 comments:

Persephone said...

Dude, I was there!.. I made you a spike without using a block or whatever. You didn't like it because it was slightly crooked. And that is why it become a witch hat.

It became better as a witch hat than a spike. But at the point, I was trying to prove that we didn't need to spend 1.99 online for a Paper mache witch hat: When I can do a better job myself.

Risexual said...

With all your artistic skills, i am surprised you don't have more experience messing around with special effects stuff, it surprises me that there is an area of visual art in which i could actually give you pointers, lol.

Next time get a 750ml bottle, superglue, and the paper mache. You can cut the top and bottom off the bottle, then slit it down the side, then adjust the length and circumference for any kind of spike, superglue it to keep it at that ( may have to do some cutting of the bottle.) then just make a paper cone.

You could do it with a 2 liter as well, but it is more of a pain in the ass.

Persephone said...

LOL!!!