Monday, February 11, 2013

Quick & Painless Reviews: Dead Space 3

I was worried about the universal ammo, but it turned out to be a non-issue.
I was worried about fighting human enemies, but that turned out to be a non-issue.
I was a little worried about the recharging stasis, but it turned out to be a non-issue.


The one thing I thought wouldn't be a problem was the cash shop. It hasn't hurt my ability to play any other console game normally, so I didn't think it'd be a problem. Whoops. The default weapons take forever to fully craft and upgrade, and until they are, they're weak as shit. You now take on tons of enemies (so many that the corpses disappear before I can get items from them) in cramped environments, and on top of that, they're all faster than the advanced nercomorphs from the previous two games. This coupled with the bad level design usually results in "find the nearest corner and fire aimlessly into the dog pile of monsters raping my face until the dramatic music stops." The surgical gunplay from before has had to make way for generic corridor shootan that's even too fast and broken for KB/M.

If the game just slowed the fuck down a bit it could have been as good as the other two; it could have even kept all the enemies and it would have been fine, but it's easily the worst Dead Space by a long shot. I'm hoping the experience will feel more balanced with co-op on my second playthrough, and yes, it hurts that I have to say that about a Dead Space game.

UPDATE: Patch 1.2 seemed to change around weapon damage and/or enemy health. I don't know this for a fact, but I felt a distinct difference in gameplay after that patch was released. Fighting necromorphs feels more balanced now making the game more tolerable. I'd still say this is the weakest of all the Dead Space titles so far, but at least it's now fun.

No comments: